Thursday, July 16, 2009

Our Little Green Thumbs

The kids and I started planting our tiny 4x4 square foot garden back in April. Despite crummy temperatures, lots of June rain and a few minor "replants", our garden has finally taken off. It would be nice to have more space, but for now, this little garden box is the perfect size for the kids to handle and enjoy. This year the kids and I changed out our Junebearing strawberries for the everbearing type. These crazy strawberries definitely have a mind of their own as we have runners everywhere (I am constantly trimming these back)! They also planted sweet peas, blue lake green beans, bush zuchinni, bush cucumbers, marigolds, beefsteak tomatoes, grape tomatoes, a couple of raspberry bushes (the bushes are actually located in the planters on the side yard) and a bunch of various flowers. The kids have been enjoying finding and devouring the strawberries and we ate some of the peas about two weeks ago. We picked some beans today, the tomatoes are starting to turn colors, and we have some little zuchinni that should be ready in a couple of days. Too bad our kids won't even eat (let alone try) most of what we've planted!

Noah with the peas he and Jackson picked

Jackson with the peas he and Noah picked

1 comment:

The Singer Family said...

I Love it! We have a 4x4 too and a few other random plants. I think you're looks great. Half of mine has done well and half looks poopy. Your kids sound like they are having as much fun as mine!