Thursday, July 23, 2009

Winnie's Got Spunk!

A couple of months ago we adopted a little calico kitten from the Salt Lake Humane Society, whom we named Winnie. Winnie has been a great kitten so far and has really tolerated all the love and attention each of the kids have given her. She even gets along with our other, much older cat, Pandora. Now that all of her shots are up-to-date the next step for her was to get declawed. Now I know most people think this is inhumane, but she's mostly an indoor cat and we don't want our furniture or carpet destroyed. Plus, we will have a newborn here next week! Our other cats had the procedure done when they were kittens and were fine.

Yesterday we dropped Winnie off at the Banfield clinic (located inside Petsmart) and returned this morning to pick her up. Before the nurse brought her back out to us, she warned us that Winnie was wearing a cone. I thought that was a little weird since none of our other cats ever had that, but then she informed us that when they arrived this morning, Winnie's cage was covered in blood and she was wagging her front paws at the nurses. Apparently, Winnie didn't like her bandages and had ripped them off sometime during the night. This resulted in her getting a cone put on to help ensure her paws would heal. (I think she actually hates the cone worse than the bandages!)

On the way home we had to stop off at Wal-Mart so Noah could use the bathroom ("Mom, it's an emergency!") and I had to purchase a different type of cat litter for Winnie. I left the windows cracked a couple of inches each and ran inside with the kids. We were seriously only in there about 10 minutes. When we returned, we found that Winnie had somehow managed to get out of the cone and she was panting super heavy. She was also making some weird sort of gagging noise. Freaking out a little, I quickly drove over to a different PetsMart, located in the Wal-Mart parking lot, and ran her inside. The nurses, even though on a lunch break, took her in the back and checked her temperature. It was over 105 degrees. They called our vet (at the other PetsMart) and were informed that if it didn't go back down in 10 minutes I'd have to take her back to them. Luckily, it dropped to about 103.4 and I was able to take her back. They assumed that she had just become stressed out from the ride home and maybe even freaked out a little when we left her alone to run inside Wal-Mart for a couple of minutes. Poor kitty! At least I can feel better knowing it wasn't strictly the heat. Now that she's home, she's devoured an entire can of Fancy Feast and has drank almost half a bowl of water. The poor cat is already being chased around by the kids who claim they are "watching her to be safe."

1 comment:

The Singer Family said...

wow, and I thought my life was hard! :)