Our church stake created a program several years ago called HEARTS for the Holidays. HEARTS stands for Hope, Edification, And Relief Through Service. This program relies on the all the various church auxilaries to help make or collect various projects throughout the year that will go towards needy church members in November. The families that participate in the "receiving" end are chosen by both the Bishop and Relief Society President. On the day of HEARTS, these families go throughout the Stake Center Church building, with an assigned escort, where they can find both the needs and wants their family has at Christmastime. I am my ward's clothing specialist, so I am one of the people who help put this project on. This was my 2nd year helping and it amazes me how generous and creative people are. My own ward created toddler-sized rocking chairs, little girl tutu's and hair accessories, fun-filled aprons, and the Primary kids collected over $250 dollars in pennies that went towards buying new toys. New clothing was also available in every size. As of now, I'm not sure the exact number of families that came, but I do know that we were able to help many, many people this season. Following are just a few pictures of how amazing this program really is. You'd have to attend just see the enormous service this program is really all about.
These are just some of the little girl tutu's the Young Women in our ward made.
Some of the brand new tools available in the Men's room.
New board games that were available.
Some of the new boy toys available. Popular items this
year included Transformers and Star Wars.
Some of the new boots that one ward donated. Winter gear is always a need for the families attending. If their specific size wasn't available, families were given giftcards during their exit interview so they could go and purchase these items.
An overview of just part of the cultural hall. The cultural hall housed everything but the clothes. Clothes were available in every classroom, arranged by both gender and size.
Another view of the cultural hall. Seen here are some of the toys,
art kits, fun-filled aprons, and school supply kits.
3 comments:
I'm speechless! That is amazing what you guys do! What a way to get into the Christmas spirit! Great Job!
That is amazing. It is so humbling to see people giving and doing so much for others. I love this time of year for that reason.
That is so awesome! I had a good experience volunteering at the Festival of trees and like you I was amazed at the Generosity and time that people donate to give to others.
Post a Comment