Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Winnie's First Catch

After coming home from alligator hunting with the kids, what did we find? A pretty decent-sized lizard on the wall next to the front door! The kids wanted to get it down and keep it, but I told them to find Winnie instead. Since she's an indoor cat, with no front claws, she's kind of a lazy hunter when we take her outside. She'd much rather roll around on the ground than actually use her hunting instincts. This time was no different. She looked at it, turned up her nose, and laid on the ground. Dumb cat! We took her back inside and figured it was just this lizard's lucky day.

A few minutes later, I peeked outside the front window again to check on the lizard. It was gone. I opened the door and found it hiding in the corner. The perfect second chance for Winnie! I ran and got her, threw her right next to the lizard and she was off! Under the car, back to the porch, under the car, around the single garage- it was a race and Winnie was FINALLY proving victorious! By this time, I called the kids back outside, grabbed my camera, and went to see what the results were. Winnie had the lizard under her paws and was just chillin'. She didn't try to eat it, it was more of a toy to her. After letting her "hold" it for a few minutes, we decided to let the lizard live so it could be free to eat any potential bad bugs that might be lurking around the house. After all, we'd much rather have harmless lizards than nasty, painful scorpions! At least Winnie was able to somewhat prove herself that she really does have the hunting instinct in her, even if she just needs a little help.

No comments: