I recently had the chance to buy some apples from Utah. Even though I really didn't need any, I went ahead and took this opportunity and bought 76 lbs. Half of these were Granny Smith (perfect for making pie filling) and the other half were Jonathan that my sister wanted to use for applesauce and apple butter. After a long day of preparing and cooking the apples, we ended up with 38 quarts of pie filling, 11 jars of applesauce, and I believe 3 pints of apple butter.
![]() |
| Max, minus the shirt, was an expert at peeling apples! He was so fast that we couldn't load them fast enough for him. |
![]() |
| Noah making the syrup. |
![]() |
| Some of the nicely packed jars of apples (thanks mom!). |
![]() |
| The finished product! |
The Recipe:
Apple Pie Filling
1 cup cornstarch 2-3 drops yellow food coloring
2 tsp cinnamon 5 1/2 or 6 lb tart apples, cored, sliced
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
In a large pan blend sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Stir in 10 cups water. Cook, stirring until thickened and bubbly. Add lemon juice and food coloring. Pack apples into clean, canning quart jars (wide-mouth work the best), leaving 1" at top. Pour hot syrup over the apples. Use a knife to help distribute the syrup in jars. Adjust lids. Process in boiling water bath-- pints for 15 minutes, quarts for 20 minutes. Makes 6-7 quarts.





No comments:
Post a Comment