Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Baby Chicks, Round 2

Sadly, Brownie and Fluffy barely made it even 24 hours.  The following day after bringing them home, Brownie started to show some weird signs of kind of just laying on her side and stretching her neck out.  She had stopped eating and chirping.  I was holding her when her little body just seized up and she was gone.  The kids had just gotten home from school and were pretty sad about her.  That's when we noticed Fluffy had a bulging bottom (almost like a baboon's red butt).  We washed her bottom off in warm water and she seemed to be doing fine otherwise.  However, a short while later, she started acting kind of lethargic too.  I threw the kids in the car and we quickly drove back up to the feed store to see what was up.  The employee that maybe Brownie was just too little and that Fluffy was constipated, which I guess happens with baby chicks sometimes.  He took Brownie and reassured us Fluffy would be okay.  I went ahead and purchased 3 more chicks, this time 1 1/2 week old American Puritan chicks. 
 
Sadly, Fluffy barely made the ride home.  I kept her on my lap as a I drove home simply because she was just so limp and the other chicks were trampling her.  After being home for only a few minutes, Fluffy died.  Poor little chicks. 
 
These three new chicks seem to be doing great so far.  We've had them about a week now and it's been fun to see their personalities develop.  The biggest chick, Buttercup, is a crazy bird.  She doesn't like to be held and likes to flap her wings.  She also likes to make us chase her when we put her in the grass.  The mid-size chick, Lebron James, is pretty calm and likes to follow Buttercup everywhere.  I personally think she's the prettiest.  The smallest, Sugar D, is constantly being held by someone.  She is the calmest and sweetest.  Max is always packing her around.  The kids love playing with the chicks and they have already grown so much this past week. 

L to R: Lebron James, Buttercup, Sugar D.

No comments: