Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Making the ole' Jack-o-Lanterns

Last night we decided to let the kids decorate and carve their pumpkins that we got a week ago at the pumpkin patch. However, on close inspection of the pumpkins, I noticed that only one pumpkin was decent looking. The other 3 all had mushy sides. I don't know if they got too cold or if they were dropped at some point, but nonetheless, they weren't useable. After a quick trip down to the Smiths, Noah and I picked out 3 more pumpkins and returned home to start the decorating. Our neighbors came over with their 3 kids, so there was lots of extra noise, mess, and chaos, but that made it all the more fun. On a side note, Jeremy always claims he hates pumpkin carving, but secretly I think he just hates getting dirty. The guts didn't even scare Jackson this year, as in the past, and I think he liked pulling out all the messy, stringy goop. So despite our pathetic first batch of pumpkins, I think overall we got some cute pumpkins to display on our porch.

Jackson with his pumpkin top.

Noah with the only surviving, original pumpkin (sadly, this pumpkin may not make it until Halloween because it too has a soft spot now near his left ear).

Alora for some reason thought you could eat the pumpkin guts. She soon learned her lesson.

She also realized she didn't like the mess it left on her hands.

Jackson and his Jack-o-Lantern. (Jackson had intially drawn a pig nose and some weird eyes, but dad changed them to be something easier to carve).

No comments: